When we head into summer everyone gets excited to be heading out into the warming weather.
During winter we are cold and it’s often rainy we never really go anywhere unless we have to. In summer we thrive to get to the beach and the beautiful rivers for a dip. Cross-country in our cars during the warmer months is what a lot of us like to do however not maintain your car can lead you into trouble with break-downs and overheating cars. Give your car the once over and see if anything is out of the ordinary. Here are a few tips to keep your car running perfectly in the summer months to avoid the costly breakdowns.
- Make sure you check over your tires during the hot months. Make sure there is plenty of tread on them and they are sitting at the right air level. Be sure to check you have a spare tire and that it is also sitting at the right air level and has plenty of treads. If you are driving on the roads with low tread you can run the risk of blowing out your tires and being stranded as well as risking losing control of your vehicle when the tires blow out.
- Get a wheel alignment done if your wheels are unbalanced it can affect the wheel bearings and you will end up wearing out a tire or two out faster than the others.
- In modern cars, the braking systems are often sealed hydraulic systems. Have these inspected before driving due to the factor we use our brakes more in the winter months which can strain that pads and rotors.
- Check the oil level and be sure to observe the color of the oil if it is black or dark colored it needs to be changed immediately.
- Check your brake fluid level. The brake fluid needs to be filled to the maximum level.
- Power steering fluid and transmission fluids need to be checked and make sure they’re sitting at the right level. If you prefer not to then check your car into a mechanic who can check everything before heading out.
- Checking your battery> Make sure there is no corrosion on the connections and that it is all connected securely.
- Avoid an overheating car by checking the coolant level. Make sure your water levels are not. Like us cars need water especially in the hotter months without it the car will overheat and run the risk of blowing your engine up. When the radiator is cold open the cap and check the water and coolant levels this way and top up if needed.
- It is going to be warm on the drive so be sure everyone is comfortable with a working air conditioner. No one wants to be sitting close to each other in the summer months without a working air con. Most times air cons just require a top up of gas which is easy and affordable.
- Have an emergency kit available on hand in the boot or glove box. There are a few things that you may need, and it can save time and hassle if you are already prepared. Your kit should include the following:
- Jump cables
- Bottles of water
- Premix coolant
- Tire iron
- Jack stand
- First aid kit
- Seatbelt cutter
- Phone charger
Be summer car safe. By ticking a few things off the list, you can be sure your trip will be smooth sailing with no interruptions from overheating cars or break-downs.
Keeping your car up to date and serviced regularly to make sure all of your future trips are enjoyed without complication.